Young Environmentalist – Sian Mercer
Firstly, Congratulations to Sian Mercer in Year 11!
Organised by the Rotary Club, this new contest is aimed at young people who care about the planet. Sian entered the Senior category of the competition for 14 to 18 year olds (proudly sponsored by Veolia).
Entrants were asked to come up with a clever way to address the challenge of waste minimisation. Sian compiled a fantastic presentation to raise awareness on micro-plastics.
In addition, Sian continues to play a huge part in many environmental projects at school. Here are some examples:
- Uniform recycling (working with the Rotary Club)
- Bottle top recycling (in partnership with the British Ironwork Centre)
- Promoting plastic awareness and recycling in school
- Promoting refilling water bottles (working with local businesses)
- Preventing plastic pollution
- Raising awareness of climate change
- Sian is an active member of the school’s Eco Club
- Working towards the school achieving ‘Eco-School’ status
Sian’s project work got through the local stage first, followed by the district heats and eventually put through to the national finals.
All the entries were judged and Sian achieved 2nd place in the Rotary Young Environmentalist Competition.
If you are interested in taking part in the Rotary Young Environmentalist Competition 2021, please see their website for further information https://www.rotarygbi.org/projects/young-people/
Eric Lowry, President of the Wem Rotary Club, is seen here presenting Sian with her trophy and certificate.
(L-R) Eric Lowry, Sian Mercer and Headteacher, Mark Cooper