History A Level
Adams College Transition Work
This transition work is intended to prepare you for A level study. We would like you to work through the tasks listed over the summer holidays.
You must bring your completed work with you on Wednesday 5th September, ready to demonstrate your understanding of the transition tasks in lessons. Teachers will test your knowledge and understanding of this work in class tests, the week beginning 17th September.
History transition work – Tsarist and Communist Russia 1855-1964
1. Produce a timeline identifying the main changes in the period. Show the major social, political and economic changes that took place 1855-1964
2. Which area experienced the most dramatic change? The least change?
3. Which ruler brought the most change?
4. Was there more continuity or change in the period?
5. What examples are there that reform/change/continuity always came from above (i.e it was always decided by a strong leader)?
Did Britain change for the better between 1951 and 2007?
Consider the following as part of your note-taking, and aim to write about one side of A4 on each issue:
1. The economy: wages; unemployment levels; influence of trade unions
2. Social change: women; youth; immigration.
3. Britain’s status on the world stage: Europe; USA; the empire
4. You should also familiarise yourself with the structure of the exam paper, as well as the skills needed to be successful in A level History.