Philosophy and Ethics
Year 12 Philosophy Transition Work
For this work you are going to consider whether the world around us is real or a mere illusion. How can you trust your senses? Have they ever lied to you? What about dreams?
Watch the following clip from the film ‘The Matrix’:
Answer the following questions:
- Do you agree that we are in a prison as Morpheus said? Are we bound by our senses?
- Describe and explain an example of when our senses might lie to us.
- Can you trust your senses?
- What are the positive outcomes of taking the blue pill?
- What are the positive outcomes of taking the red pill?
- Which would you take if you were given the same choice as Neo? Blue Pill or Red Pill? Explain your choice giving three reasons. Stretch: How might your choice affect others? How might it affect the way you continue to live?
- Do you believe we have a choice? Look at this Bible quote and explain what it means and how it might impact a Christians’ belief in the idea of ‘choice’.Proverbs 16:9
- ‘The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.’
We will be using your answers to these questions in the first lesson back – please come prepared.
Please click here to access the Ehics transition work.
See you in September!
Miss Finch and Mr Jones